Alzheimer’s is a neurological problem in which the destruction of brain cells leads to loss of memory. This disease starts from the beginning of forgetfulness, in Alzheimer’s disease it is difficult for a patient to remember the things; also the old memories gradually diminish. Dementia, the last stage of Alzheimer’s disease is quite dangerous.
What are the symptoms of Alzheimer’s?
In addition to weak memory, there are some other symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease, like forgetting the names of people, difficulty in expressing their thoughts, difficulty in following directions, difficulties in understanding something. There may be some symptoms such as asking the same thing over and over again, losing their belongings repeatedly, losing too much familiarity, etc. Psychological problems like irritation, anger and stress etc can also be seen in two-thirds of people.
What causes the Alzheimer’s?
So far, the exact cause of Alzheimer’s disease is not known, but according to some reports, Alzheimer’s disease is probably due to genetic factors, life style and the surrounding environment affecting the brain.
Risk factors of Alzheimer’s disease
Experts believe that some cells of our brain are destroyed with age.
The risk factor increases if someone from your family has Alzheimer’s disease.
Apart from this, people with the history of diabetes, heart disease, obesity and head injury are more at risk of this disease. However, progressing age is the biggest risk factor in this disease. This disease is mostly found in people who have crossed the age of 60.
Diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease
The crucial thing is to diagnose the Alzheimer’s disease in the early stages. If Alzheimer’s is suspected, then contact specialist doctor. Along with clinical examination some tests like CT scan, MRI and PET are done to diagnose the Alzheimer’s disease.
How to avoid Alzheimer’s disease
Alzheimer’s is considered an incurable disease. The following measures can be taken to prevent the Alzheimer’s disease.
- Control your weight, take nutritious food, eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise and yoga 20 to 25 minutes daily.
- Be mentally active, learn something new and develop new hobbies.
- Reduce the chances of heart disease by taking appropriate steps.
- Increase communication, make friends, and be happy.
- Alzheimer’s symptoms can be controlled by taking the Mediterranean diet (fish, olive oil, abundant vegetables).
- The curcumin found in turmeric can be helpful in treatment of Alzheimer’s.
- After passing the age of 40, add almonds, tomatoes, fish etc. to your diet regularly.